Insights from Club GMs and CEOs
For the July issue of Chambers’ CLUB ROAD, we surveyed club GMs and CEOs around the country and asked what they’re doing to generate new revenues. Read the survey results here.
We were impressed by the great ideas they shared on just how and what they’ve been up to. By far, the answers we heard most frequently were “renovated/upgraded dining, fitness areas and golf facilities” and “added new membership categories.” Certainly, not every new revenue source requires a big money investment. More of their terrific ideas:
Facilities & Operations
- Renovated dining room, lounge areas and fitness facilities
- Renovated golf courses, practice tees and driving ranges
- Added sports bars, terrace dining and outdoor lounge areas (one added a deck over the pro shop so bar goers could watch golfers coming up the ninth fairway)
- Upgraded outdoor areas with new furniture, make them more inviting for casual gatherings
- Enlarged and upgraded pool areas
- Elevated food selections
- Upgraded media equipment, installing high definition tvs and a projection screen
- Added “cabana” personnel to service outdoor areas (read more on ideas for outdoor spaces)
Events & Activities
- Introduced family golf programs
- Created “clubs within the club” — Dance Club, Bridge Club, Wine Club and more. “The Dance Club has brought a number of large events to the club, and the Bridge Club brings enthusiasts to the club on a daily basis”
- Added barbeque nights by the pool and late night swims
- Added a short game practice area for golf
- More family and children’s programs
- Added a swim team and water polo
- Introduced a Dining Rewards program
- Introduced onsite barber, tailor, dry cleaning, shopping (the club takes a percentage)
Said one GM, “A lot of our improvements and additions have been simple and mostly subtle, but they’ve got members talking and bringing in more friends and family.” That’s a win-win.
Share your ideas below.
“Make More, Waste Less” — read the full survey results on what club leaders around the country are doing to generate revenue and combat inefficiency from our most recent CLUB ROAD.